Our Favorite Read-Aloud Books from this School Year.

Monday, March 20, 2017





As a Charlotte Mason-inspired, book-based homeschool, we try our hardest to read lots of high quality, living books in our home.  I thought I'd share what we've read and enjoyed this year...

Novels we all loved...


Alright, I can't possibly comment on every single book photographed (well, I could but it would take way too long...).  I always try to pick a good selection of classics, award winners, historical fiction, comical, mystery, etc.

Many of these we listened to on audio.  Audio books are a life saver for me!  Books we found on audio included:  Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea, Frindle, Island of the Blue Dolphins, Elijah of Buxton, Rascal, Dewey the Library Cat, The One and Only Ivan, Black Beauty, Misty of Chincoteague,  and From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankwiler.  (Yep... tons!)




What Alex (8 years old) really loved...


I read the Ralph books by Beverly Cleary exclusively with my youngest son (he's 8).  He absolutely LOVED them and would beg me to keep reading and wanted to read each consecutive book.  I highly recommend these for fun read-alouds that will turn kids on to longer novels.  They would also just so enjoyable and light to read together.  Adventure, fantasy (seriously... a mouse who talks and rides a motorcycle), and humor make a great combo for young boys especially.





Books Audrey (9  years old, turned 10 recently) really loved:


Alright, so All of a Kind Family and Sarah, Plain and Tall are classics and we really enjoyed reading those together.  We also read the follow ups, Skylark and Caleb's Story.  I've just ordered the las two books in  the series - so, yes, we liked them!

What really got Audrey reading more independently was the Ramona series by Beverly Cleary.  I read these as a young girl too and still remember how much I loved them!  They are funny, engaging, and relatable.  Cleary writes to kids in a special way that very few authors can achieve.  

Some Moms find Ramona annoying for various reasons, but I find the books hilarious... and my kids all agree.  In fact, all the kids love this series but it was Audrey who was curling up in bed and reading through them independently!







Books Simon (11 years old) really loved:


Simon loves to read and be read to as well.  These were some of his faves - The Crispin series by AVI, anything Roald Dahl (I have mixed emotions about the weirdness of Roald Dahl but my son LOVES these books...), The Prince Warriors series by Pricilla Shirer (HIGHLY recommend this - these books captivated my son and are a mirror of the spiritual battle and the armor of God), and various others, as you can see in the photo...

Also shown:  My Side of the Mountain, Two Against the North and Curse of the Viking Grave by Farley Mowatt, The Secret Church by Vernon, The Shakespeare Stealer, The Sign of the Beaver, Indian in the Cupboard, and Journey to the Centre of the Earth. 




Spines and Morning Time Reads


Alright... we read so many books this year, but these are the ones we read most often and enjoyed together as a family.

Of course, the scriptures are always part of our daily reading.

For devotional reading we really loved Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing.  It is so beautifully illustrated with very quick devotional snip-its of truth to 'make your heart sing'.  

Prayers that Changed History  by Trish Goyer is a great read for Hero Study and Inspirational Reading.  It goes chronologically, high-lighting people of faith whose prayers made a difference.



The Children's Treasury of Virtues is bind-up of several classic William Bennet titles (Book of Faith,/Virtues, Book of Heroes, Book of America).  This is a top fave in our home and I really recommend it!  The Illustrations are engaging and the stories are well written and meaningful.  We also read The Book of Virtues (big one on far right of the top row) and our kids ask for that one.

The Story Bible for Older Children is an oldie but a goodie.  It is living book style narratives of the entire New Testament.

Poetry included A Child's Book of Poems by Fujikawa and several other anthologies (we own countless poetry books).

We also enjoyed Simply Charlotte Mason's Stories of America and Stories of the Nations for History.





And... then there are the books we LOVE over and over again...


The Chronicles of Narnia

 Nothing compares to Narnia for our kids.  They will read these books countless times and they are a mainstay in our home.  I highly recommend the series as family read-alouds.

Also, we have the Focus on the Family Radio Theatre dramatic presentation of the books and our kids LOVE them.  I have listened to them so many times....  I reviewed the set HERE.













1 comment:

  1. I always love the pictures of books you post! We are a book-loving family, as well, following Charlotte Mason in the way that fits our family's needs. My 9 year old daughters loves the Ramona books, and anything by Beverly Cleary, really. I don't consider those books twaddle at all! My 11 year old has read some of Ronald Dahl, as well. I am very interested in the Stories of the Nations and the Stories of America. They look fabulous. I just need to go ahead and order them.

    ReplyDelete

I cherish your comments:

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground