Let's go on a Seeking Beauty Nature Walk {Simple Nature Study - Charlotte Mason Monday}

Sunday, September 13, 2015




This week, I wanted to share a very simple, no-prep Nature Study with you, this is part of a new series I hope to explore, called, Simple Nature Study.  So many Moms have chatted with me about their struggle to implement Nature Study in their homeschool.  The desire is there, but they are looking for ideas, EASY ideas to help their family get out and enjoy God's creation.  So, my hope is to share ideas like this - Simple (no-prep, no-fuss) Nature Study ideas.

So... every month, we study a different hymn.  This month we are studying and singing This Is My Father's World by Maltbie Babcock.  One morning, as we sang the beautiful lines of this old hymn, I was inspired.  (Hey, it happens sometimes~!) 

For Nature Study, I thought it would be fun to encourage the children to seek beauty the same way Maltbie Babcock did when he wrote his famous hymn.



I really love this book, Hymns for a Kid's Heart - it includes 12 hymns, along with living biographies of the people who wrote them and a short devotional with each hymn.  Also, it comes with a CD with children's choirs singing the hymns in the book.  Beautiful!



So, we went out on a nature adventure with the very specific purpose of seeking the beauty found in an early September afternoon.  We brought along some clippers and I encouraged the children to clip a couple of the wild flowers (and wild weeds) they found beautiful.  We also snapped photos of pretty plants, the stream, a path, whatever we thought was beautiful. 

Once we were back home, we created 3 mason jars full of God's Beauty and gave thanks for His wonderful, breath-taking world!

Why not try going on a Seeking Beauty Nature Walk this week?


 










  1. This is my Father's World
  2. by Maltbie Babcock

  3. This is my Father’s world,
    And to my list’ning ears
    All nature sings, and round me rings
    The music of the spheres.
    This is my Father’s world:
    I rest me in the thought
    Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas—
    His hand the wonders wrought.
  4. This is my Father’s world:
    The birds their carols raise,
    The morning light, the lily white,
    Declare their Maker’s praise.
    This is my Father’s world:
    He shines in all that’s fair;
    In the rustling grass I hear Him pass,
    He speaks to me everywhere.
  5. This is my Father’s world:
    Oh, let me ne’er forget
    That though the wrong seems oft so strong,
    God is the ruler yet.
    This is my Father’s world,
    The battle is not done:
    Jesus who died shall be satisfied,
    And earth and Heav’n be one.







3 comments:

  1. We are using that book with Heart of Dakota. I have enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Sometimes we complicate things. I really enjoyed Hymns for a Child's Heart as well. I really loved connecting the story behind the hymn and learning about the composer. What a fun way to tie in nature study and music. Looks like you made a lot of great discoveries on your walk too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Thanks for sharing. Especially this time of year :)

    ReplyDelete

I cherish your comments:

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground