Why Love needs to be the Heart of the Home{school}

Monday, March 30, 2015




“If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.” 
1 Corinthians 13:1
 So begins the famous passage so often read at weddings and so desperately needed in the home and the homeschool.  Love is patient, love is kind, it does not envy, does not boast… and we can insert the word “Mama” every time we read love for some added effect.  Or guilt.  It depends, doesn’t it?
Mama is patient, kind, not proud, never rude… Mama is not self-seeking, Mama is not easily angered, Mama keeps no records of wrongs…  Mama always protects, always trusts, always hopes…
But does she?
Let me humbly say it- Friends, I’ve been the clanging cymbal.
Oh, yes I have.  And especially with my husband and children, because isn’t it all too often the ones we love most that get the worst of us?
If you’re anything like me, you can spend hours researching books and homeschool curriculum and planning weekly schedules and printing out activities.  We have wonderful ideas for every-which-way to teach.  We post Bible verses on the walls and read our devotions every morning, and we find the best books and the best programs and the best of everything we can get our hands on.
But how many times have we sat down in the quiet and truly considered the reality of 1 Corinthians 13?  Especially in how we relate with our children.
If I have not love…
So, I can plan the most interesting and engaging activities, buy the best books and studies, and teach deep biblical truths – but, if I have not love… I’m just a loud, clattering, annoying cymbal to my children. Anything positive I’m trying to teach gets completely crowded out and stifled by my lack of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I cherish your comments:

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground