The Faithfulness of the God of Spring {Sabbath Scriptures and a Hymn}

Friday, March 13, 2015




Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad;
    let the sea resound, and all that is in it.
12 Let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them;
    let all the trees of the forest sing for joy.
13 Let all creation rejoice before the Lord, for he comes,
    he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world in righteousness
    and the peoples in his faithfulness.


(Psalm 96)




We've been doing some rejoicing of our own at the sight of piles of melting snow this week.

Yes, Spring has peaked around Winter's cold corner.  Finally.

Although I feel I truly did make peace with Winter this year, there is no doubting- for us, the season is a long one.  And no matter how much I can breathe in those freezing months and still give thanks, I do hope in the joy of warmth and blooming buds again.

This week, as we walked along the familiar treed path, the unmistakeable smell of Spring air filled my senses.  Yes, that smell that can never be properly described; it must be experienced.  My best shot is to say it is something of a soil rich earthy smell mixed with fresh, yet musty wafts of melting ice.  When that breeze hits your face, you just know.  Spring is coming... it's nearly here.









My eyes actually tear up as we round a corner and hear the call of a Downy Woodpecker high overhead.  The beauty, the warmth of the mid-day sun, the glory of the birds singing in the trees - the dancing sparkles on top of watery snow... it's too much.

The chin is quivering as I stop dead and gaze to the top of an ancient naked Oak.  And there he is, that sweet black and white bird with the fiery patch on his head.  He's wooing his love interest and there she is, the female Downy, fluttering gracefully in small swoops and swishes.

"Look!  Look!"  I'm whispering as loud as I can and pointing upwards.  "See them?  There they are... Downy Woodpeckers..."

The kids stop and gaze up.

"Wow... "  I breathe.  "They're courting!"

"Or fighting."  Simon smirks at his own wit.

I chuckle.  "Either way... it's beautiful."

"Yeah."

Beautiful doesn't do justice to the warmth that comes after a long, long Winter.  I don't believe there are words powerful enough to truly describe the feeling inside my very soul when I breathe in everything that is the coming Spring in the middle of a wooded path.  It is beyond bliss.  

It is deeply Holy.  God is truly here.

My tears, my pounding heart, my wide-eyed, jaw dropped self is a testimony all on its own.

It is the undeniable movement of a soul towards her Creator.


It is the same child-like awe that strikes an eight-year-old and makes her over-the-moon giddy when she finds a tiny crawling caterpillar on a March afternoon.





Because when that sun warms the earth, and the grass pokes muted green through the ice and the little creeks bubble and splash we need to stay wide awake.  We need to pause and sit and stare and allow the tears to fall if they will.

We desperately need to tear up at singing birds because when we stop everything to notice, embrace, and give thanks for His beauty - we are filled up to overflowing with joy, joy, joy down in our hearts.

And when (finally) Spring comes, we are reminded of the Faithfulness of the God of Spring and every season.  We are reminded of His constant presence and the way He always, always fulfills His promises.


All through that chilling winter frost, we know it deep inside - Spring will come.

Why?

Because the Creator ordained it to be so.  He set the seasons in motion and He keeps the stars hanging and the globe spinning and yes, He's got the whole of the earth in His hands.

We do not doubt the seasons will change because they always do and always will as long as the Lord keeps them changing.  His power is almighty, all knowing, ever-faithful.

No matter what Winter we walk through, there is always a Spring.  With Christ Yeshua, there is always new growth, always the green, always the freshness awaiting those who hold fast to His promises.

And today?  

Today we spotted the very first Robin of the season.  It was all shrills and shrieks and excitement in the kitchen as we snapped photos and listened hard for his song.  And sure enough, there it was - ringing loud and clear and beautiful in the stillness of the morning.

We just had to quiet ourselves enough to listen.

Yes, He is faithful.








Psalm 8

1Lord, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!
You have set your glory
in the heavens.
2Through the praise of children and infants
you have established a stronghold against your enemies,
to silence the foe and the avenger.
3When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,
4what is mankind that you are mindful of them,
human beings that you care for them?
5You have made them a little lower than the angels
and crowned them with glory and honor.
6You made them rulers over the works of your hands;
you put everything under their feet:
7all flocks and herds,
and the animals of the wild,
8the birds in the sky,
and the fish in the sea,
all that swim the paths of the seas.
9Lord, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!


As Spring breezes start to blow into the woods... I'm reminded of one of my favourite hymns... maybe a lovely one for hymn study over the next few weeks?


O Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder,
Consider all the worlds Thy hands have made;
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.

Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art! How great Thou art!
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art! How great Thou art!

When through the woods, and forest glades I wander,
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees.
When I look down, from lofty mountain grandeur
And see the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.


And when I think, that God, His Son not sparing;
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin.

When Christ shall come, with shout of acclamation,
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart.
Then I shall bow, in humble adoration,
And there proclaim, "My God, how great Thou art!"








And something beautifully breath-taking to warm your soul...






Have a blessed, wide-eyed weekend, friends.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this blog! It is such an encouragement to homeschool mothers like myself.
    I truly love your writings about Jesus and His word. I also am blessed by the homeschool resources and information you provide.
    I have a blog as well.
    http://cchlearning.wordpress.com/
    Blessings,
    CCH Learning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this comment (that I only saw now!!!)

      Delete

I cherish your comments:

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground