Easy, Yummy Sugar-free Vegan Muffins!

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

These muffins are super easy and delicious!  I've tried MANY vegan, sugar-free muffins and often they are tasteless and hard.  I have tweaked and worked on this recipe and it works!

This is my go-to muffin recipe.  Love that it fits right in to the way we are trying hard to eat - no sugar, no animal products, and very little fat.

PS. The kids love them!

 

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
1/4 cup + 2 TBS of unsweetened applesauce
1 large mashed ripe banana
1 cup soy or almond milk
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 TBS vegetable or canola oil (you can eliminate the oil and add one more TBS of applesauce instead, if you wish.  I keep the oil in there because it is minimal and it gives the muffins that really nice, moist, muffin-y texture.)

Options:
Berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc.)
Chocolate Chips
Nuts
(Add whatever you like to these basic muffins!)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Mix dry ingredients together.
3. In a separate bowl, mash banana and whisk in soymilk, oil, then applesauce.
4. Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients, stir until smooth.
5. Spoon mixture into muffin tin either lightly greased or use muffin cups.
6. Bake for 18-20 minutes.

and....

Enjoy!





4 comments:

  1. I'm going to give this a try! Thanks for sharing :)

    If you don't mind me asking, what are your thoughts on soy? I was surprised to see that listed in your ingredients. I know you've been researching a lot. What is your opinion?

    Thanks again. I enjoy reading your blog!

    blessings~~angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I so appreciate you comment. :) I hope they turn out delicious! This has worked time and time again for me. So many Vegan muffins are really dry - especially if you're trying to reduce the oil. These ones are pretty moist, especially with fruit in them!

      Soy... Oh... Soy. To be honest, I'm no Nutritionist. I have had plans to take get my certificate in Plant Based Nutrition for a while now. My thoughts are this - soy is far better than anything animal based. Purchasing organic soy products is important because it eliminates the GMO soy beans from being in your food. Soy has gotten a bad rap but I have read a lot of info that suggests much of what we read comes by the way of the dairy industry - trying to scare us away from consuming soy.

      I wouldn't consume monstrous amounts of soy products, but we do drink Soy Milk. We try to stick to plant-based, natural foods (not really tofu, etc.).

      It's hard with munchkins. They were raised drinking milk and they love milk, especially in cereal. So, Soy Milk and Almond Milk give that alternative option. It also works well in recipes.

      You can always switch out Soy Milk for Almond, Rice, Coconut, etc. Though in this recipe I'd stick with Soy or Almond, because they're creamier. ;)

      Big hugs! Glad you love the blog!

      Delete
  2. Soy milk also has a much higher protein content than any other milk alternative available in Canada. It is the only non-dairy milk alternative that us even considered a source of protein!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe, they came out really well!

    ReplyDelete

I cherish your comments:

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground