How Screen Time affects the love of Reading (especially in boys...)

Saturday, April 27, 2013

I had the privilege of working as an educational consultant with a large publisher of children’s books for two years.   A huge part of my job was meeting with teachers and parents to help in the process of choosing books for kids.  I thoroughly enjoyed the job because I genuinely love books and love kids.  I’m passionate about childhood literacy not only for our own children, but for other children in the community.

The more I worked in schools and homes though, the more I realized an unsettling problem: 


The vast majority of boys are labeled ‘reluctant’ readers.

The vast majority of boys labeled 'reluctant' readers also spend way too much time in front of the screen.

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Stopped by your blog from a pin on Pinterest for your row of Ferdinand--- WONDERFUL, by the way!! Your activities ROCKED!! But landed here as this is a HUGE concern for me, regarding my son... I checked out your article and all the reasons reading isn't "cool" are so true. It is hard too, because I think boys are much more "visual" too--- and tv and games do that, while reading is much more imaginary...

    ReplyDelete

I cherish your comments:

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground