Good-Bye (Thirst)

Friday, April 13, 2012

Yesterday, we had no water.

Well, I guess we didn't have 'NO' water, but our taps were not flowing.  We live in the country and our house is... um... old, to say the least.  Sometimes, our water runs out.  It dries up.  We forget to fill our cistern.  The pump burns out.  And yesterday was one of those days.   So, for twelve hours we used tiny amounts of water from a small water dispencer.  I poured four inches of cool liquid into a large bowl - and that was it.  Our water. 

Good-bye hot shower.  Good-bye tall glasses to gulp.

And I got thirsty.  I felt desperate to get that water flowing again. 



I thought it fitting that I live without running water for the day.  I needed it.

Don't we all need to be reminded once in a while?  Reminded of our humaness.  Our brokeness.  That just like that water flow, we too, can run dry.  We run out.  And like the over-worked pump, we burn out.

But then I'm reminded of this:

Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.”[c] 39 By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.   (John 7)

and this:

 Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”  (John 4)

The water of this life will run out.  Everything we try to feed ourselves of this world - those things we THINK will keep us going - they don't.  They dry up.  On my own, I dry up.  I realize just how thirsty I am for more.  For Him.  Jesus is the only flowing river that will never stop rushing over us... bringing us to drink and drink and drink some more.

So, I humbly come to the One who is living water... and I don't just sip, I gulp, I chug... I cry.

And I am quenched.  I am awed.

Good-bye Thirst.





Written for Five Minute Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I cherish your comments:

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground